Becoming a deckhand
Deckhands play an essential role on board a ship. Reporting to the Captain or ship manager, as the situation may require, deckhands:
- Conduct docking and undocking manoeuvres
- Direct vehicle traffic during loading and unloading
- Conduct maintenance work on the vessel
- Ensure passenger safety
- Carry out cashier duties
- Conduct various administrative duties
- Carry out some light cleaning duties
- Answer passengers’ needs and respond to their requests
- Carry out any other related duties
To become a Société des traversiers du Québec deckhand, you must have:
- A high school diploma, or the equivalent
- A minimum of three to six months of relevant experience
Are you interested in this career opportunity? Submit your application today.
If you are interested in a career in the marine industry, please read more about the marine training available in Quebec.