Becoming an engineer officer
Engineer officers make sure the engine room runs smoothly. Without them, a ship can’t go anywhere and will be grounded.
Chief Engineer Officer
Under the command of the ship manager, the Chief Engineer Officer:
- Organizes, coordinates and manages all operations in the engine room
- Ensures and oversees installation, maintenance and repairs of equipment and machinery
Second Engineer Officer
Under the orders of the Chief Engineer Officer, the Second Engineer Officer ensures the smooth running, maintenance and repairs of equipment and machinery in the engine room.
How to become an engineer officer
To become a Société des traversiers du Québec engineer officer, you must have:
- A college certificate in mechanical engineering, or the equivalent
- A marine engineer’s certificate (of an appropriate class for the position applied for)
- A medical certificate as required by Transport Canada
- Approximately one year of relevant experience
Are you interested in this career opportunity? Submit your application today.
If you are interested in a career in the marine industry, please read more about the marine training available in Quebec.